Friday, May 9, 2014

a Spider, a Test, and a Surprise

 The night before I found out I was pregnant, I had a spider on my shoulder. A brown recluse, specifically.
 Naturally, I reacted rather... strongly.
I never did find the spider, after jumping out of bed and throwing the sheets around.
I did what any normal person would do;
I took the whole bed apart and moved it into the living room.
(Fortunately, the living room was pretty much empty, because we were in the middle of moving.)
I slept in the living room, safe and sound. The bedroom door stayed shut (as if that would help) and the spider was polite enough to stay away. 

The next morning, I decided to go ahead and take a test, since I was a few days late. I braced myself for another negative.
I started the test (the kind that says "pregnant" or "not pregnant"), put the cap on the stick, and waited. I carried the test into the living room, and sat on the spiderless bed. The seconds ticked by, slowwwwwwly...

..
...
and finally, I looked down:
"PREGNANT!!!"
the little stick didn't have all-caps, or exclamation points, but it should have. I was thrilled!

I smiled, cried, squealed a little, paced around the house like a crazy fool, and then called my grandmother, my best friend, my mom, my mother-in-law, and my aunt.
I didn't want to tell my husband, over the phone, and he was away at police academy. I decided to wait til his graduation.

The big day was nearing, so I got a little gift bag, gathered some various baby items, and I bought a new Superman onesie. (our last name is Kent, my husband loves Superman)

The night before his graduation, I gave him the bag. It took him a moment to figure out why I had given him a board book & a baby bottle, but the look on his face, as he held up the Superman onesie, was pure excitement and surprise! (see photo)
We had been praying for a sweet baby, and God had finally answered our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment